Timeline of Past Leaders
Gene Block became UCLA chancellor on August 1, 2007 and joined a select list of campus leaders. With distinctive personal styles and the common goal of building a great university, his predecessors nurtured and shepherded UCLA from its creation to the beginning of the twenty-first century.
- 2006-2007, Acting Chancellor Norman Abrams
- 1997-2006, Chancellor Albert Carnesale
- 1968-1997, Chancellor Charles Young
- 1960-1968, Chancellor Franklin Murphy
- 1959-1960, Chancellor Vern Knudsen
- 1952-1959, Chancellor Raymond Allen
- 1945-1950, Provost Clarence Dykstra
- 1937-1942, Provost Earle Hedrick
- 1919-1936, Director and Provost Ernest Moore
Other Key Figures
Two other key figures played leading roles in UCLA history: Regent Edward Dickson is considered the co-founder of UCLA, and UC President Robert G. Sproul took on the role of acting provost after Ernest Moore's retirement in 1936.